Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Paris

Please forgive me my dear blog readers, your Blogess has been too busy the last few weeks to update you on teaching and traveling abroad. Well fret no more! I will fill you in on Pais. However, I had a small slip of the brain and forgot my phone in my dorm when I went to Paris..so I'm borrowing a few pictures for the moment. I will update with more later. 

Paris: Kim, Kali and I left for Paris on Friday October 4, getting dropped off at the Cambridge train station by Jenn. We then took that train to Kings Cross in London where we then got on the fabulous Eurostar. I honestly loved the Eurostar, I wish we could do all of our traveling with it (very quick customs/security, ride in style and comfort, get there quickly..what's not to love?). We arrived at 10:30 and was picked up by Kali's friend Meghan, who we stayed the weekend with (she is in France studying abroad for the semester). I sure was glad to see her..we were already hit by culture shock when we stepped off the Eurostar. We could't read where to go at all..we had been very spoiled in England in the sense of we could read where to go, or ask someone for help. Here? We were lost. Meghan quickly showed us which ticket kiosks to use and how to maneuver around France's metro stations (which is essentially like the tube) and we made it over to her tiny, adorable apartment (after fending for ourselves from the drunk boys and homeless people). And I cannot emphasize enough how tiny this girl's apartment was: there was a small bed, small table, small sink, small fridge and small shower-all in a room the length and width of two twin beds. It was 800-900 dollars a month for that little piece of real estate on the 8th floor (lots of stairs!); HOWEVER, its major perk was that it had a lovely view of the Eiffel Tower. This view inspired us to try and go see it once we set our bags down. We got distracted by a street vendor selling crepes (I got a warm Nutella  crepe...mmm yum!) but eventually made it by 2:30 am to the Tower. Unfortunately..nobody told us the lights of the Eiffel Tower turn off around 1:00 am. So the first time I saw that monstrous building it was late, dark, the lights turned off, and I was surrounded by hundreds of dirty rats that occupy the area around the Tower at night..AND IT WAS STILL MAGICAL. I'm telling you, I was in awe of the size and detail of the Eiffel Tower..and I was surprised because I had seen it thousands of times on postcards, cheesy posters, etc. It was still amazing. Finally we made our way back to Meghan's apartment to crash and prepare for the next few days. 

On day two: We started off the day with pastries and coffee (of course). We then made the walk over to see the Notre Dame which was gorgeous. It was free admission, so we walked inside and were met with beautiful architecture and stain glass everywhere we looked. Another of Kali's friends (Kim- I will probably say Chinese Kim to not confuse you with my OSU Kim) that is also studying abroad in France met up with us as we began walking to the Arc de Triumphe. Which was an awful lot of walking. We passed the Louvre, the mini Arc de Triumphe, and other beautiful buildings along the way. We also popped into a few stores for some shopping (yes, of course) and was introduced to "community dressing rooms." This long walk (it took a few hours) famished us..so we decided to stop for lunch. Chinese Kim knows quite a bit of French, so we let her do most of the talking as the French can be a little rude if you do not speak their language (or start off saying a conversation in English saying "Parlez vu anglais?") However, the waiter was exceptionally odd..constantly trying to tease us but coming off as weird and a little inappropriate. He was always touching me and OSU Kim, trying to put mustard on us, splashed Kali with water, etc. If we were in America or in England, this waiter would have received a few choice words..most starting with some four letter words. However, none of us really knew what to do or how to handle this situation. So we took our abuse and got our delicious food..and didn't leave a tip (our passive aggressive way of being angry I suppose). After, we stopped at a well known book store that is known for famous authors visiting (such as Hemingway...etc.) We then made our way back to the Eiffel Tower..watched it light up..and took a tour to the very very top! At every hour on the hour, the Tower's lights blink for a few minutes which is very beautiful. And we saw a proposal (yes..aww how cute..how original..). The lines took a long time but the experience and view was incredible (It took about 2 1/2 hours to get through everything). When we completed our tour, we were tired and exhausted and made it to another restaurant. Let me stop here and brag about the food for a minute..the food is probably the best part about France. As much as I love seeing the buildings, architecture, and sights...I just love food. I will never be able to have a croissant in America again without comparing it to Paris croissants. Or bread in general. It is just that amazing! After we ate, we stayed up and walked around some more, all because there was a large festival going on and there was a rumor there would be fireworks designed by the man who designed the pyrotechnics for the Beijing Olympic Games. As tired and exhausted as we were..we stayed up..and waited..and waited.. For no fireworks. By that point, I was so tired I didn't care, so we trekked back to Meghan's apartment to crash.

Day three: This day may have been my favorite. It was a lot less of a touristy day, much more relaxing and about seeing the culture and people of Paris. We got our pastries and coffee, and took a nice walk down by Notre Dame again..passing by the picturesque bridges and stopping to take lots of pictures at the Lock Bridge.
(Kali, Megahn, me, and Kim)

We then strolled to the Louvre as it was a free admission day for all of the museums. We didn't spend too much time there as it was quite crowded, but we did see the Mona Lisa, Aphrodite, and several other well known paintings/statues/pieces. We then bought bread, wine, cheese, and macaroons (at a well known pastry shop) for a lovely picnic in front of the Eiffel Tower. This was my favorite part of the day! People had their kids and dogs out..their own picnics..it was still nice weather..gorgeous view..it was perfect. Meghan took a few pictures of us..and then a nice guy took a few including Meghan. If you are friends with me on Facebook, you may have seen these pictures but I'll share them anyway. 
 
We had to get a jumping pic!

We then got our bags from Meghan's..said our goodbyes (we will see her again in Dublin) and made it back to the Eurostar. It was a very long weekend but very fun. To be honest, I probably wouldn't go back again unless I had someone who knows French..it is much easier to get around and communicate with people that way. 

I will end the post here and start a new one to blog about my latest weekend in London (as this one is already long). 

Au revoir!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment