Sunday, September 15, 2013

Cambridge and more

I feel like I'm writing posts very close together but I finally have wifi so I feel like I have to take advantage of it! We are in lovely Cambridge today to spend the day finishing homework, catching up with family and friends back in the States, and roaming around the city. My cooperating teacher Jenn took us out last night to "country night" on Lakenheath base and it was so much fun. All of my friends really like Jenn as she is hilarious. She took us to her house and we had a good time teasing each other; for example, all of us girls wanted to take a picture together and after she took it Jenn would say  "Ok..now Hannah get out of this one..we want this to be a good picture" hahah. Quick story about Jenn in the classroom as well: Her behavior plan is based around a system of tallies where if the students forget homework, waste time, are disrespectful, tease/bully, etc. they receive a tally. One student forgot his snack in the hallway and asked Mrs. Seguin if he could grab it..she said "Sure! For a tally...." The child then kept debating whether or not it was worth it to grab the snack and get the tally. My teacher would egg him on saying "Man, I would be starrvvinngg. I don't know if I could go hungry..is it worth it?" The surrounding students would chime in saying "Oh no, its not worth it! Don't do it! You couldn't pay me to get a tally!" haha I love it (BTW, the boy went hungry that morning). 

So on Friday, one of the 5th grade teachers, Mr. Whitehead, asked Kim (Kim is an OSU student who student teaches in 5th grade) and I to go to a pub with him, his wife, and one of the other teachers. He said it was their regular spot and they would pick us up..how could we refuse? They picked us both up and drove us 30 minutes out to the cutest, most eccentric pub we have been to yet! It is called the Hare's Arm (although Mr. Whitehead calls it the Hairy Armpit). 
I ordered the pub's special which is a peppercorn steak in a kind of crust (similar to Shepard's Pie) and it was very very good! It was similar tasting to roast beef. 
We all chatted and these teachers are the nicest people..who happen to all be from Oklahoma and be huge OSU fans! They told us more about Dods (Department of Defense schools), where they have stayed in England, and their travels all over Europe and beyond. They invited us over to dinner at their house sometime as Mrs. Whitehead is apparently an amazing cook..I look forward to a homemade meal soon. They then ordered us the most delicious dessert I have tasted..possibly in my life. It is literally crack in food form. It's called sticky toffee. Look it up people..it will change your life.
While the pictures may not look very appetizing (I mean I don't work for a food magazine, I am not an expert in pub grub photography) it was all fantastic! Ok, I am done bragging about food at the moment. I am happy to have made some "teacher friends" who have given us their numbers promising help in any way possible. Again, this only makes me more excited for the rest of the semester.

In other news, we have booked some of our trips! We have booked our flights to Dublin and Italy, and have also booked our tickets to see Wicked in London!!! I may be most excited to see Wicked at the moment..I have been wanting to see this musical for a very long time. I wish we could see Les Mis as well...but alas, I do not have a wealthy patron funding this trip (hint hint Dad). I will be writing more this week as I can update my blog from my student's computers at the school. I just can't add pictures. We can't use jump drives at the schools..which may be a problem later when I have lesson plans or homework; although, hopefully I can go to my teacher's house or some other kind soul's place to do that kind of work. I will leave you all with a picture of us being studious at the Starbucks in Cambridge and taking advantage of the free wifi.
Gooday mates!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Hannah, I can tell by reading all your posts that this will be one of the best times of your life. Like when a book you'd been reading suddenly opened up and came to life. Aren't you so thankful and joyful about it all? Like being served champaign for breakfast every day!
    You are a good writer; I enjoy your posts.
    And I imagine the kids are so happy to have you around.
    I pray the Lord would share some very sweet surprises with you.
    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete