Thursday, September 5, 2013

We're here!!!

Today it is Thursday-England time and jet lag has already set in. Yesterday, Kim, Erin, and I arrived in Heathrow at 930 am and got through customs fine. However, it was interesting to try and find the bus that would take us to Mildenhall (base where our supervisor would meet us). We first had to get our bags (which we had a lot of luggage), then we had to take the express train to the correct terminal, then we had to figure out if we needed to go to arrivals or departures, then go through part of the airport again to find the correct pickup place. Wowwww. We then took a bus to Mildenhall which is close to Feltwell (our base we stay/work on). Our supervisor is the nicest man! He is also the assistant dean to the college of education. He took us to our dorms and then took us to get ID's to use on the base. He then took us all to the BX (shopping for necessities) and then the commissary (groceries) and was gracious enough to deal with 5 jet lagged women decide whether they want facial scrub or just facial cleaner. After we all got groceries and started unpacking we met together to decide what trips we want to take while abroad- we have narrowed it down to: Paris, Rome, Florence, Dublin, Oxford, London, Cambridge, Munich, Barcelona, and I'm sure there are more I have forgotten. Planning is tough! We all are a bit overwhelmed so we are spending more time this weekend to research and narrow it down further.

I was able to tour my elementary school, meet the principal and my mentor teacher today. My principal is incredible. Very personable man- throughout the tour he would say hello to all the students by name (which must be hard as students come in go in this military school). The elementary school is gorgeous and bigger than I expected. There are three buildings (four if you include the separate cafeteria). My teacher is also different than I expected. She is nice although more sarcastic and funny. I introduced myself to the students and my teacher was kind enough to say "This is her final step as a teacher. You will treat her as a teacher, show her respect, and honor her as you do me" which I greatly appreciated. What I have already gained from the hour I spent with her class is that her students are very well behaved. They are quite inquisitive as I got some interesting questions such as: "What does your husband do?" "What grades do you want to teach?" "How is college? Are your classes hard?" "How are you on base?" "Where are you living?" "Are the Dallas Cowboys your favorite team?" "Is your boyfriend in the Air Force?" Goodness gracious... After speaking with my teacher for awhile, the girls and I have met up and got food and are using my supervisor's hotel room for wifi! My wifi at my dorm is very sketchy...I will add pictures of my school and dorm soon (after I finish unpacking). I will also include an address as soon as I receive on. Tomorrow I believe we are planning on going to Cambridge and possibly London on Saturday. We are headed for Bury St. Edmunds this afternoon and I am excited!! As well as exhausted..

Due to this exhaustion, please forgive any points that do not make sense or grammar errors..all of us are a bit delirious and have been warned we may feel "odd" for the next few days.
I look forward to connecting with ya'll in the future!
Cheerio! Although I haven't heard anyone use that saying yet.I

2 comments:

  1. How exciting, Hannah. Ah - the in's and out's of travel to a faraway place. You earn a certain badge of credit once you navigate an international trip, or even a trip to a large city that's new to you.
    I'd give my eye teeth to be in a classroom full of young British students, Hannah! I do hope you'll work on your accent at night behind closed doors. I use a British accent on occasion with my students to freshen things up, and they really perk up!
    Make the most of your adventure, Girl!

    Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete